Skip to content

Vidal - new midi controller being developed

Mrroland

Pete14

+1 for the build in speakers.

If they combine that with a build in usb-audio interface it would be awesome.


Pete14

Yes, an audio interface would be great!

I remember having to purchase a separate interface, monitors, stands, cables, etc. for the VPC-1, you know, because it’s “the best” controller in the world, yet somehow I was still underwhelmed despite its so-called ‘authorized’ velocity curve(s) for Pianoteq!

“An authorized curve,” I thought, “surely, it can’t get better than that;” well, it turns out that it can get better than that + a bag of chips; sans the cumbersome cables/interface & overall expense associated with the VPC-1 setup.


SouthPark

Pete14 Remember that “wooden” horse dad made you?

Using a work bench such as ….. kiyola. Versatile! Can play piano and do some nice woodwork on it as well!!


Pete14

Wow, the Kiyola must be the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen, and here I thought the Vidal was ugly!😆


SouthPark

Pete14 This is not a joking matter Pete. Well, it is …. but … when we combine it with superNATURAL technology, which Roland does a lot ….. it leads to cases like below, and we all have to start sleeping with the lights on. And that's what I will be doing starting from tonight. Lights on for a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1605mGoCBNU


josh_sounds

A better design option I guess? just strip away the plastic bits of your midi controller (or DP) and swap it in there….


HZPiano

josh_sounds

Wow that looks the part 😋.

Cheers and happy creative designs,

HZ


SouthPark

Pete14 Wow, the Kiyola must be the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen, and here I thought the Vidal was ugly!😆

Forgot to mention too -- both the piano stand and the chair stand aren't height adjustable hahaha. It's a goldilocks scenario. On the other hand - maybe it is height adjustable. Some woodwork would be needed hehehe


CyberGene

https://playvidal.com/blogs/news/how-our-magnet-action-works

Maybe it’s not that bad. They put magnets on the bottom to pull the keys when they are near the bottom to eliminate the high pushback of the typical digital actions without escapement 👍🏻 I like that. Hopefully it feels good too and is not just a gimmick.


HZPiano

Hello,

Tom from Vidal registered on PW and has already gotten input from several people, myself included.

@Jane courteously referred him to our 'Clack as well, maybe he'll come and visit/participate.

I think it is great that finally people are trying to address the upweight issue, where the big players thus far totally neglect this (which seems rather strange…).

The attention to other aspects such as sustainability and user-serviceability are lovely too.

Still, Vidal could be sharper as to who their target customers are in conjunction with the requirements of serious piano players, because there are aspects that aren't quite there or even a step back from what we're used to finding in a digital piano/piano controller these days. I wrote some notes about that on PW, and others including @Jane did too.

Cheers and happy developments,

HZ


Pete14

I wish them well; however, it seems like it’s easier said than done (getting past the distribution barrier created by the big three). Several promising projects have ‘died at sea’ (never reaching the big markets, like the USA).

Now, I’m no engineering genius, like CG, but I do wonder about the magnets kicking in ‘when the keys are near the bottom’, and whether this would feel somewhat unnatural to the player. Of course, the proof is in the pudding, and if they get it right, it would be groundbreaking, and it would prove just how little effort the big three have made in reinventing the ‘digital action;’ something we’ve discussed in the past; wherein, they simply keep making them pivots longer instead of truly innovating, and as I’ve said before, there’s more to an action than just the sum of its pivots.


CyberGene

HZPiano Tom from Vidal registered on PW and has already gotten input from several people, myself included.

I see that he registered here as well 2 days ago. Hi and welcome, @tom_vidal 🙂 Hopefully he wasn't offended by some harsh comments in this discussion, including mine.

Pete14 I’m no engineering genius, like CG

Thanks but I'm not either 😀 Just a restless guys with a lot of energy and spare time.


SouthPark

The mechanism in the vid looks like it's working well. Nice to see people putting in hard yards to achieve objectives like that.


Pete14

You’re too humble, CG, and I assure you, if I came across a huge bag of cash, I’d give it to you and Del Vento to develop the holy grail of digitals; heck, I’m not waiting to ‘come across’ that bag; I’m headed to the bank right now to make them an offer they can’t refuse: fill that there bag with cash, or I’ll blow your face off!💰😉


HZPiano

Pete14 fill that there bag with cash, or I’ll blow your face off!

I do like traditional, proven methods that guarantee success (even if it renders a mere short-term result 😲).

Cheers and a happy "Hands Up!"

HZ


Pete14

HZ, it turns out it’s not so easy, robbing a bank (I googled it), so I ask, would you join me in this noble endeavor?

Surely, there are others ‘round here willing to join in on this mission to “take from the proverbial Pete to give to the proverbial Paul” (CG & Del Vento)!

I will need one driver/lookout, and several guns/ammunitions (no hand-grenades, please); also, masks, police uniforms, badges, dark shades, and gloves 🧤 (no DNA left behind). 👮‍♀️

Who’s with me? (It’s for a good cause: to build the holy-grail of digitals):

https://youtu.be/nJSqW-24444


Pete14

Who called 911?😆


HZPiano

Pete14 I googled it

Just don't believe everything that's on the internet, @Pete14 …

Trust your instincts and go get those funds.

As you've written plenty of these Plans of Action before, along quite similar lines and recipes, I'm sure you'll pull it off.

Cheers and a happy heist,

HZ

PS By now @tom_vidal will never come back, thinking we're a sad bunch of utter nutcakes. Which we are, but we're also a serious Piano bunch with some very knowledgeable nutcakes as it comes to actions, sensors, readouts, MIDI streams and so on. Please do understand, Tom!


Pete14

HZPiano Please do understand, Tom!

Yes, I’ve called the “Vidal” ugly, but that was the old me, Pete, talking; the new me, Petruska, is more open-minded and forgiving; so yes, ‘please do understand, Tom,’ I no longer believe your creation ‘ugly’, but rather ‘eccentric.’

Now, if you could stop by for a brief rendezvous, I, Petruska, promise a warm welcome; and I assure you, I will personally handle the weirdos ‘round here.

We await thee, Tom, we await thee with open arms (and a few well-intended questions).


vagfilm

Going back to the action mechanics... Why the springs? If the back of the key would lift a lever-like block (just like the back of the key lifts the damper in a real action...) wouldn't that give the same result? Easy to individually adjust weigths on both the back of the key and in that block to achieve grading (instead of adjusting spring tension), and easy to set up double blocks to simulate let-off. Vidal's own diagram of key weighting show how off their design is from the Steinway... Ok, it accomplishes weight reduction at key bottom, but the springs also cause linear increase of weight until key bottom, while in a grand action it does not increase until let-off... Why springs?


« Previous Page Next Page »