Skip to content

Vidal - new midi controller being developed

Johnstaf

CyberGene What’s their promise? I haven’t seen any details whatsoever.

That it feels like a concert grand. We've heard that before of course. There hasn't been a development in digital actions in a long time, so it's exciting to see something new.


CyberGene

Unless I see how they designed the hammer weights leverage and how the hammers are linked to the keys, I’d be very skeptical. To me it seems like the same principle as in the existing digital piano actions in a very compact space which is worrying.


MacMacMac

I'm with you, CG.

It sound like much hype and little substance.


Johnstaf

CyberGene Unless I see how they designed the hammer weights leverage and how the hammers are linked to the keys, I’d be very skeptical. To me it seems like the same principle as in the existing digital piano actions in a very compact space which is worrying.

It's the promise of something new that excites me, but I'm still cautious. If it has realistic letoff simulation that's actually useful like on a grand, I'll seriously consider it. If it is just hype, I'll just move along. No harm done.


kawafanboi

let's talk about the wood work, the quality looks good, but the artistry, somewhat pedantic/pedestrian.

it looks more like something dads make, not trying to diminish the important role of dad-gineering, but the geometry is not very beautiful/inspired.

perhaps the final version could use some curves and asymmetry. 🙃


Johnstaf

I love the look of it. If the Victorians did minimalism it would be like this. 😃



kawafanboi

Johnstaf

don't know bout that johnstaf.

for example, look at the edge between the side wall and the top cover. there's no proper transition, it's just endgrain ontop of side grain, this is dad-gineering.

and if you sand end grain, it just looks worse, planed surfaces are best as opposed to sanded or sawn, although if you have those super japanese blades at 10k rpm, you can sort of get away with it.


David B

I'd be interested in just a really good midi controller. Something that could reach all the velocity layers with a minimalist design (no speakers, onboard sounds, etc). I like the idea of an adjustable key action provided it had the mechanics of an acoustic action. Although, I'm partial to the polished black look so I might have to put an ebony/poly stain on the nice wood.

I would imagine only a small and wealthy segment of musicians would place a preorder and pay for something like this before it's even out.

God Bless,
David


Pete14

Remember that “wooden” horse dad made you?

Remember how the arse was flat, the head squared, the legs short, and the “member” missing?

That’s the Vidal: a dad-gineered, skewed, crossed-eyed, dead horse; and yes, I do look a gift-horse in the mouth, and that there Vidal horse is ugly as heck!

Disclaimer: I don’t always agree with one by the name of KFB, but when he’s right, he’s right!🤣


Johnstaf

David B Although, I'm partial to the polished black look so I might have to put an ebony/poly stain on the nice wood.

I must say the blonde wood is growing on me -not literally. 😀


Pete14

😊


SouthPark

That's because it's vidal sassoon.


Mrroland

Pete14

+1 for the build in speakers.

If they combine that with a build in usb-audio interface it would be awesome.


Pete14

Yes, an audio interface would be great!

I remember having to purchase a separate interface, monitors, stands, cables, etc. for the VPC-1, you know, because it’s “the best” controller in the world, yet somehow I was still underwhelmed despite its so-called ‘authorized’ velocity curve(s) for Pianoteq!

“An authorized curve,” I thought, “surely, it can’t get better than that;” well, it turns out that it can get better than that + a bag of chips; sans the cumbersome cables/interface & overall expense associated with the VPC-1 setup.


SouthPark

Pete14 Remember that “wooden” horse dad made you?

Using a work bench such as ….. kiyola. Versatile! Can play piano and do some nice woodwork on it as well!!


Pete14

Wow, the Kiyola must be the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen, and here I thought the Vidal was ugly!😆


SouthPark

Pete14 This is not a joking matter Pete. Well, it is …. but … when we combine it with superNATURAL technology, which Roland does a lot ….. it leads to cases like below, and we all have to start sleeping with the lights on. And that's what I will be doing starting from tonight. Lights on for a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1605mGoCBNU


josh_sounds

A better design option I guess? just strip away the plastic bits of your midi controller (or DP) and swap it in there….


HZPiano

josh_sounds

Wow that looks the part 😋.

Cheers and happy creative designs,

HZ


« Previous Page Next Page »