Skip to content

Vidal - new midi controller being developed

Joannchr

Independently of what the end product is going to be like , the feature I like is the ability to access the action straight away as a feature . How many times do we see on forums , ´ I got a sticky key ‘ and as a response get ‘ consult a certified dealer to carry out the operation ) which is frankly disappointing. It seems like the brands want to make collateral business by making maintenance difficult for end users, not publishing service manuals etc… this doesn’t really exist in the acoustic world. Of course you need to know your stuff if you want to regulate or tune your piano , but it is accessible . In the DP world , it seems that end users are discouraged to open their instruments , even though many things can happen to the action and the keys because even if the sound is produced electronically , DP’s are still percussive from a key standpoint and will be subject to various issues at some stage . Is the philosophy ‘ bin it and buy another one ‘ the rule here similarly to swatch watches ? Sorry end of the week , rant time 😉


SouthPark

Pete14 haha …… true. It's possible that they used a-tech (alien tech) … worm-hole drive technology. It can really open up a can of worm-holes.

Jokes aside. Hopefully Vidal can send a 'sample' midi controller to us at PC for review and to keep. We will draw straws on who keeps it. Would be good publicity. And if they pay us enough, we'll have all good things to say about it!


SouthPark

Love that extra special touch on their midi controller finishing as well. Aka box joint.


SouthPark

CyberGene they’re just ignorant

There is definitely something in this. Even the location/placement of the pitch shift stick. I wouldn't put it there just 'above' the dial thing. I need to have a chat with whoever it was that decided to just plonk it there - without some practical thinking.

I would keep the pitch stick away from the power switch etc too.


SouthPark

Here's the mod.


Johnstaf

I love how the idea of this.

If they can get the action to respond well and feel nice, I think it could be fantastic.


Pete14

I know it’s a controller, but I see a lot of room for some speakers atop, so why not?

Is a controller with speakers an odd thing to ask for?

It’s not like I’m asking for internal sounds, but speakers would go a long way for me, for you see, I’m not a fan of dangling cables, stands, and satellite speakers hovering over the piano; I prefer my speakers grounded, so that I can feel the rumbling on the keys, even if this comes at a bit of a loss in terms of overall fidelity as compared to high-end monitors; which, by the way, can cost a bundle.


kawafanboi

Pete14 Why the cynicism?

They’ve stated -very clearly- how great the action, yet you’re bent on an inquisition!

What if they’ve figured out a way to defy the laws of gravity? surely, we have no idea what kind of alien-tech the guys at Vidal Sassoon have at their disposal.

Shame on you all, for such cynicism!

for the sins of questioning a piano manufacturer of their antigrav technology,

i will never recover from this. 😗


Johnstaf

I haven't been this excited since the AvantGrand came along. I'd prefer this without any panel on the left.

I haven't got the space for a hybrid, but if this works as promised it could be my keyboard for life. It's expensive, and there are other things I'd spend the money on first (if I had it), but my current digital will have to be replaced eventually.


CyberGene

Johnstaf but if this works as promised

What’s their promise? I haven’t seen any details whatsoever.


Johnstaf

CyberGene What’s their promise? I haven’t seen any details whatsoever.

That it feels like a concert grand. We've heard that before of course. There hasn't been a development in digital actions in a long time, so it's exciting to see something new.


CyberGene

Unless I see how they designed the hammer weights leverage and how the hammers are linked to the keys, I’d be very skeptical. To me it seems like the same principle as in the existing digital piano actions in a very compact space which is worrying.


MacMacMac

I'm with you, CG.

It sound like much hype and little substance.


Johnstaf

CyberGene Unless I see how they designed the hammer weights leverage and how the hammers are linked to the keys, I’d be very skeptical. To me it seems like the same principle as in the existing digital piano actions in a very compact space which is worrying.

It's the promise of something new that excites me, but I'm still cautious. If it has realistic letoff simulation that's actually useful like on a grand, I'll seriously consider it. If it is just hype, I'll just move along. No harm done.


kawafanboi

let's talk about the wood work, the quality looks good, but the artistry, somewhat pedantic/pedestrian.

it looks more like something dads make, not trying to diminish the important role of dad-gineering, but the geometry is not very beautiful/inspired.

perhaps the final version could use some curves and asymmetry. 🙃


Johnstaf

I love the look of it. If the Victorians did minimalism it would be like this. 😃



kawafanboi

Johnstaf

don't know bout that johnstaf.

for example, look at the edge between the side wall and the top cover. there's no proper transition, it's just endgrain ontop of side grain, this is dad-gineering.

and if you sand end grain, it just looks worse, planed surfaces are best as opposed to sanded or sawn, although if you have those super japanese blades at 10k rpm, you can sort of get away with it.


David B

I'd be interested in just a really good midi controller. Something that could reach all the velocity layers with a minimalist design (no speakers, onboard sounds, etc). I like the idea of an adjustable key action provided it had the mechanics of an acoustic action. Although, I'm partial to the polished black look so I might have to put an ebony/poly stain on the nice wood.

I would imagine only a small and wealthy segment of musicians would place a preorder and pay for something like this before it's even out.

God Bless,
David


Pete14

Remember that “wooden” horse dad made you?

Remember how the arse was flat, the head squared, the legs short, and the “member” missing?

That’s the Vidal: a dad-gineered, skewed, crossed-eyed, dead horse; and yes, I do look a gift-horse in the mouth, and that there Vidal horse is ugly as heck!

Disclaimer: I don’t always agree with one by the name of KFB, but when he’s right, he’s right!🤣


« Previous Page Next Page »