Skip to content

Studiologic SL88 GT mk2 - TP400/W Action in a piano controller

painano

I have the SL88 GT mk2 and play usually VSL or Pianoteq, both sound way better than the Numa Player. Coming from a Yamaha P-525 with escapement, I don’t miss it at all. As mentioned in this thread, I modified it with wooden side panels, which you can get from syntholz.de:

Vidal - new midi controller being developed


painano

CyberGene I haven’t played the VPC1 but had a CA-99 and compared to that the TP400/wood in my SL88 GT mk2 is probably pretty close, of course it’s not all wood key sticks like on the Kawais. But I moved a Novus NV10 as a premium MIDI controller in the room where I had the Studiologic. 🤪 Now the SL88 GT mk2 is idling on a shelf in the basement. Maybe I need to sell it.


David B

CeDur While the initial resistance to move the key seemed to be similar to PHA50, I felt like I don't have to 'fight' the weight pushing against my fingers. It's hard to describe in words (especially in my non-native language), but it felt like I was 'throwing' the key, applying force only at the beginning. With Roland I feel like I have to push all the way down.

The mechanical feel of the TP400 is probably my favorite feeling non-hybrid digital action I have ever played. It has a decent graded down weight and the up weight feels comfortable. It's a fast responding action and feels very solid on its metal frame.

CeDur Playing near fallboard seemed to be a bit harder than with PHA50 (difference between tip of the key and its back).

Yes. I also owned a FP90X and the PHA50 does have a longer pivot which makes playing at the back of the keys easier.

CeDur There was something going on with velocity curve.

It definitely reaches the highest velocity with less effort than any digital piano I've owned. That's not a good thing, but it's manageable. I like how it handles the lower velocities. The biggest problem for me with the Studiologic boards is that repeated notes can sound very irregular (some loud, some soft, some not sounding at all) because of the midi implementation. They do some weird thing with a fixed midi velocity of 4 at the middle sensor. This is preventing me from getting the MK2GT. I emailed Studiologic to see if recent firmware has changed this behavior, but they have not responded back to me and it's been almost a week.

CeDur Black keys were noticable heavier than whites, but it didn't bother me too much because it is only 'initial' resistance (as I desribed in first point).

Yes, it didn't bother me either. The black keys are lighter than the white keys on my P525. I like how you can adjust the sensitivity ratio between the black and white keys on the Studiologic boards. Can't do that on the Yamaha.

CeDur I really liked 'feel' of the action itself, but I suspect Numa Player is responsible for spoiling the impression a bit.

The Stage D was the only piano worth playing (IMO) in the SL lineup, and it has very low P and PP mapping or whatever it's called. Basically, it's extremely easy to play PP. It's unrealistically easy, but I did enjoy playing the Stage D and would play it more if I ended up with another SL board. However, I most likely won't get one until they "fix" the midi issue. I'm disappointed nobody has gotten back with me from SL.

God Bless,
David


CeDur

I think the guy set Stage D. Like I mentioned, "I'll be back" there with my own laptop and test with Modern D, VSLs, Garritan and other pianos I'm familiar with.

BTW, Warsaw is a terrible place to live for someone who's fighting with GAS. I live 5min walk from one huge music store and around 20min walk from another. They have all the instruments people usually discuss online (well maybe except new NV6/NV12) to try. I was happy with my Roland as MIDI keyboard, but tried VPC1 and that SL and now I'm thinking.


HZPiano

CeDur Like I mentioned, "I'll be back" there with my own laptop and test with Modern D, VSLs, Garritan and other pianos I'm familiar with.

It will be interesting to read your impressions, thanks! Do you intend to try the VPC-1 there with your VSTis as well?

CeDur I live 5min walk from one huge music store and around 20min walk from another.

Aiai!

Cheers 😋,

HZ


RIP

David B The biggest problem for me with the Studiologic boards is that repeated notes can sound very irregular (some loud, some soft, some not sounding at all) because of the midi implementation. They do some weird thing with a fixed midi velocity of 4 at the middle sensor. This is preventing me from getting the MK2GT.

That sounds like a major drawback. I now remember your earlier review! It sounded too good to be true at that price point.

CeDur Like I mentioned, "I'll be back" there with my own laptop and test with Modern D, VSLs, Garritan and other pianos I'm familiar with.

Interested to read your opinions too, but keep in mind what David is saying. Don't let you be carried by the GAS.


Solidjak

Any new opinions on this device? Are there still velocity consistency issues?


jenpal

Having watched this YouTube video, I’m leaning towards the SL88 Mk2 with TP110 over the GT Mk2. It seems better for linear velocity curve and is much lighter and easier to transport.

However, if you prefer the premium TP400 action of the GT Mk2, the video at 10:15 demonstrates a good velocity curve for it.


HZPiano

jenpal

Please note: the non-GT is not a piano controller. So if piano is your goal, then it isn't suitable.

Cheers!

HZ


jenpal

HZPiano

Thanks HZ for the info. I’m actually looking for a lighter 88-key digital piano with a good piano feel that I can easily carry for practice/gigs. However, I’m always having second thoughts because my Yamaha P-255 with in-built speakers is so convenient to set up. So I’m still undecided about whether it’s worth buying the SL88 Mk2 and carrying it along with my laptop for VST and external speakers.

P.S. I also need a good justification for my wife if I buy another keyboard. However, I want to keep my P-255 because I usually prefer easier setup and transport.

Cheers!


HZPiano

jenpal

Did you consider a Roland FP-10 or FP-30X for that purpose?

Cheers!

HZ


jenpal

Thanks, HZPiano. I will start digging into these. 👍


HowlingFantods

HZPiano What do you mean 'the non-GT is not a piano controller'? It has a hammer-action keybed. Not premium, but quite capable. I, and many others, use it to play piano.


David B

HowlingFantods What do you mean 'the non-GT is not a piano controller'? It has a hammer-action keybed. Not premium, but quite capable. I, and many others, use it to play piano.

I think he meant the Numa X models are not exclusively controllers. He probably meant to say, "the non-MKII" models.

The TP110 is a very capable action that preforms better/easier single note repetitions compared to the TP400. The nitpick I have with the TP110 is that is becomes a noisy keyboard after the grease is displaced through use. The TP400 never becomes clicky.

God Bless,
David


HZPiano

HowlingFantods

As I understand it, in the MkII series, the GT is the hammer ("piano") action; the non-GT (of about half the price) is just the typical MIDI controller keyboard.

To make sure, I'm just referring to the controllers, not the Numa pianos. As I thought @jenpal was as well.

If I'm mistaken in any of this, apologies of course.

Cheers!

HZ


jenpal

I’ve been eyeing the SL88 MK2 for quite sometime but after researching the Roland FP-10 and FP-30X I realised there are keyboards with in-built speakers and a good action that are much lighter than my Yamaha P-255. I like the FP-30X’s features with good speakers but it’s only 2.5kg lighter than my P-255 and I’m not sure that’s enough for me. I’ve injured my back a few times lifting my P-255 into its stand mostly due to incorrect carrying position. I prefer the weight of the FP-10 but it lacks some features I want and I’m wondering if the FP-10X will be released anytime soon.

I’m also considering the Yamaha P-225 which weighs 11.5kg but I’m not sure about the GHC action. I’ll visit some music stores to try them out when I get a chance.


HZPiano

jenpal I’ll visit some music stores to try them out when I get a chance.

That is the thing to do.

Cheers!

HZ


HowlingFantods

jenpal Just to follow up: the SL88 Mk2 does have a hammer-action keybed and can easily be used to play piano (as the YouTube video you linked to ably demonstrates). It's 13.3 kgs. If you have an iPad you can also use that as a sound module with the SL as it has an in-built audio interface.

The Rolands you're considering have the PHA-4 keybed which I personally find to be extremely sluggish; to the extent that I would never buy a keyboard with that keybed in it. The FP-10 also doesn't allow proper half-pedalling. Some people love the PHA-4, though, so YMMV.


HowlingFantods

HZPiano You are mistaken, I'm afraid. The SL88 Mk2 has the same keybed as the Numa X Piano; the TP/110.



« Previous Page