CeDur
Today morning I went to local music shop to buy a stand and I saw SL88 GT on display, connected to laptop with Numa VST and some small studio monitors. Few thoughts about it vs Roland's PHA50:
- While the initial resistance to move the key seemed to be similar to PHA50, I felt like I don't have to 'fight' the weight pushing against my fingers. It's hard to describe in words (especially in my non-native language), but it felt like I was 'throwing' the key, applying force only at the beginning. With Roland I feel like I have to push all the way down.
- Playing near fallboard seemed to be a bit harder than with PHA50 (difference between tip of the key and its back).
- Black keys were noticable heavier than whites, but it didn't bother me too much because it is only 'initial' resistance (as I desribed in first point).
- There was something going on with velocity curve. Sales guy said it is set to default, but I had no time to check settings. Maybe that Numa Player was the issue, but I had a feeling it is too easy to control lowest velocities, I mean - when I was playing with 'force' I would usually use to be around mp/mf, I was still in pp/p range. I was able to reach high velocities as well, but the overall impression was.. strange. Like it was 'too easy', but not in a good way.
I asked salesman if I can come with my own laptop and test it for around an hour and he said it's not a problem - so I'll probably do some more tests soon. I really liked 'feel' of the action itself, but I suspect Numa Player is responsible for spoiling the impression a bit. I really liked the look of the instrument and its form factor considering how nice action is inside.
