HZPiano
Hello,
I've seen a first (to me, at least) price for the SL88 GT in Europe:
€899,-
Which includes tax and shipping (as is usual in this neck of the woods).
Cheers and happy anticipation,
HZ
Hello,
I've seen a first (to me, at least) price for the SL88 GT in Europe:
€899,-
Which includes tax and shipping (as is usual in this neck of the woods).
Cheers and happy anticipation,
HZ
Just to point out, there may be an issue with what triple pedal unit can be used with the Numa X Piano GT and the SL88 GT Mk2 that could be a factor for some people. I read that the triple pedal unit that Studiologic offers for the Numa X Piano GT isn't the best, but that the Roland RPU3 triple pedal unit (which seems to be considered pretty good) can be used with it (I think the member David B may have pointed this out). But the Numa X Piano GT and the SL88 GT Mk2 seem to have different jacks for the triple pedal, so it's not clear what triple pedal units can be used with the SL88 GT Mk2.
(I've only looked at it a little bit, but it seems the Numa X Piano GT has 3 jacks that can work with a continuous pedal, while the SL88 GT Mk2 has only 2 jacks that can work with a continuous pedal while the 3rd jack can only work with a switch pedal.)
Numa X Piano GT:
https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_x_piano_gt/
Pedals
Ped 1-2 Switch/Continuous
Ped 3 Multi Function
SL88 GT Mk2:
https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/slmk2/specs/
Pedals
Switch, switch/continuous, universal
First hands-on review of the new SL MK2 88GT
Hi folks! I spent quite a bit of time at the NAMM show demoing the new SL MK2 units, especially the GT model. I can confirm that the more premium ivory-feel keytops are not present on the SL88 GT, but rest assured that the keytops still feel great. I will probably be purchasing an SL88 GT in the near future, once they are available (likely in March from what I hear). I was also very impressed with the other units in the SL MK2 lineup. The response is good, but fast repetitions and playing towards the back of the keys were far more challenging to execute on the standard SL88/73. If I played music where fast repetitions weren't a top-priority, for $499 for the SL73/88 MK2, I feel like I would be hard-pressed to find a controller that plays and feels so good around that price range.
The lack of escapement on the SL88 GT is an advantage in my opinion, producing a lighter touch throughout each keystroke, in what limited sense I can describe it. As someone who prefers a lighter touch, especially compared to the heavier actions found in Yamaha and Roland, this is a major advantage. Around the corner from Studiologic's booth was the Rhodes booth which had two VPC1s (hooked up to sampled Rhodes instruments) to compare to directly. The RM3 Grand II action on the VPC1 is still good, but not $2500 (US retail) good. Regarding the entire SL Lineup, the brochure that I have indicates the following information, in case it isn't already fully published elsewhere:
Hmmm. So if this account is to be believed, it appears that they have removed the escapement and also changed the key surface. I don't mind losing the escapement, but it would be a bummer if they've really change the key surface, as the Numa X GT has probably the nicest feeling keys of any digital piano I've tried.
Still, for $1000 it represents tremendous value, and I'd be very tempted if I was still in the market for a midi controller.
jdg78 I don't mind losing the escapement, but it would be a bummer if they've really change the key surface, as the Numa X GT has probably the nicest feeling keys of any digital piano I've tried.
That is a bummer. I love the Ivory key feel also. It's such an inviting surface for my fingers. It's one of the characteristics that makes the action feel higher quality than everything else I've tried out there. Kudos to them for removing the escapement. I'm so impressed with the Numa/TP400 action and the customizing touch sensitivity options. The MK2 GT should put the nail in the coffin for the VPC1.
God Bless,
David
Someone in that thread did mention that the Ivory key tops wear unevenly, so I wonder if that is why Studiologic didn't continue using them for the SL88 GT.
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3576529/4/studiologic-sl73-sl88-sl88gt-mk2.html
davinwv wroteThe ivory feel tops on my SL88 Grand have worn very unevenly. Unsurprisingly, the most played ranges of the keybed (i.e. the middle) have the most wear.
As long as the keytops on the SL88 GT are a little matte feeling and aren't slippery, I'm okay with them not being "ivory feel".
I'm very excited about the SL88 GT and the SL73 MK2. I've been saying to friends that it was like Fatar called me from Italy and asked what I would want in the SL successors, and then put all of what I said into the MK2s!
Asunder Someone in that thread did mention that the Ivory key tops wear unevenly, so I wonder if that is why Studiologic didn't continue using them for the SL88 GT.
I noticed that comment, but I don't know what they are talking about. I've been playing my Numa GT with Ivory tops routinely for over a year and I haven't noticed ANY wear on the key tops. Not even a patina.
The Ivory Touch key tops on my Kawais didn't hold up for very long. This is what they would look like.
Not so with the Numa Ivory Key tops. They still look brand new. Here are my keys.
I think the poster might be referring to some other key surface that doesn't come on the TP400
God Bless,
David
Nice. The photo evidence is undeniable. But I will give some leeway to the post about keytop wear. Maybe that person has a different playing style? Maybe a different version of keytop?
In any case, I'm looking forward to trying out this VPC1 killer.
David B I noticed that comment, but I don't know what they are talking about. I've been playing my Numa GT with Ivory tops routinely for over a year and I haven't noticed ANY wear on the key tops. Not even a patina.
The Ivory Touch key tops on my Kawais didn't hold up for very long. This is what they would look like.
Good to know. Yea, that looks like a good amount of wear on the Kawai. Here's to hoping that Studiologic hear that potential customers want the ivory tops and makes it happen.
The opinion is not interesting... There should be an argument on the mechanics, the game sensations, the responsiveness, etc. I find that it looks more like gratuitous bashing if there is no explanation...
CyberGene Whoa, that's a bold statement!!! It would be interesting to see if they really did that of a good job when it comes to mimicing the baby grand piano experience in a mobile way.
Today morning I went to local music shop to buy a stand and I saw SL88 GT on display, connected to laptop with Numa VST and some small studio monitors. Few thoughts about it vs Roland's PHA50:
I asked salesman if I can come with my own laptop and test it for around an hour and he said it's not a problem - so I'll probably do some more tests soon. I really liked 'feel' of the action itself, but I suspect Numa Player is responsible for spoiling the impression a bit. I really liked the look of the instrument and its form factor considering how nice action is inside.
I have the SL88 GT mk2 and play usually VSL or Pianoteq, both sound way better than the Numa Player. Coming from a Yamaha P-525 with escapement, I don’t miss it at all. As mentioned in this thread, I modified it with wooden side panels, which you can get from syntholz.de:
CyberGene I haven’t played the VPC1 but had a CA-99 and compared to that the TP400/wood in my SL88 GT mk2 is probably pretty close, of course it’s not all wood key sticks like on the Kawais. But I moved a Novus NV10 as a premium MIDI controller in the room where I had the Studiologic. 🤪 Now the SL88 GT mk2 is idling on a shelf in the basement. Maybe I need to sell it.
CeDur While the initial resistance to move the key seemed to be similar to PHA50, I felt like I don't have to 'fight' the weight pushing against my fingers. It's hard to describe in words (especially in my non-native language), but it felt like I was 'throwing' the key, applying force only at the beginning. With Roland I feel like I have to push all the way down.
The mechanical feel of the TP400 is probably my favorite feeling non-hybrid digital action I have ever played. It has a decent graded down weight and the up weight feels comfortable. It's a fast responding action and feels very solid on its metal frame.
CeDur Playing near fallboard seemed to be a bit harder than with PHA50 (difference between tip of the key and its back).
Yes. I also owned a FP90X and the PHA50 does have a longer pivot which makes playing at the back of the keys easier.
CeDur There was something going on with velocity curve.
It definitely reaches the highest velocity with less effort than any digital piano I've owned. That's not a good thing, but it's manageable. I like how it handles the lower velocities. The biggest problem for me with the Studiologic boards is that repeated notes can sound very irregular (some loud, some soft, some not sounding at all) because of the midi implementation. They do some weird thing with a fixed midi velocity of 4 at the middle sensor. This is preventing me from getting the MK2GT. I emailed Studiologic to see if recent firmware has changed this behavior, but they have not responded back to me and it's been almost a week.
CeDur Black keys were noticable heavier than whites, but it didn't bother me too much because it is only 'initial' resistance (as I desribed in first point).
Yes, it didn't bother me either. The black keys are lighter than the white keys on my P525. I like how you can adjust the sensitivity ratio between the black and white keys on the Studiologic boards. Can't do that on the Yamaha.
CeDur I really liked 'feel' of the action itself, but I suspect Numa Player is responsible for spoiling the impression a bit.
The Stage D was the only piano worth playing (IMO) in the SL lineup, and it has very low P and PP mapping or whatever it's called. Basically, it's extremely easy to play PP. It's unrealistically easy, but I did enjoy playing the Stage D and would play it more if I ended up with another SL board. However, I most likely won't get one until they "fix" the midi issue. I'm disappointed nobody has gotten back with me from SL.
God Bless,
David
I think the guy set Stage D. Like I mentioned, "I'll be back" there with my own laptop and test with Modern D, VSLs, Garritan and other pianos I'm familiar with.
BTW, Warsaw is a terrible place to live for someone who's fighting with GAS. I live 5min walk from one huge music store and around 20min walk from another. They have all the instruments people usually discuss online (well maybe except new NV6/NV12) to try. I was happy with my Roland as MIDI keyboard, but tried VPC1 and that SL and now I'm thinking.
CeDur Like I mentioned, "I'll be back" there with my own laptop and test with Modern D, VSLs, Garritan and other pianos I'm familiar with.
It will be interesting to read your impressions, thanks! Do you intend to try the VPC-1 there with your VSTis as well?
CeDur I live 5min walk from one huge music store and around 20min walk from another.
Aiai!
Cheers 😋,
HZ