Skip to content

Studiologic SL88 GT mk2 - TP400/W Action in a piano controller

_sem_

David Lai what’s wrong with escapement? I’ve never played an electronic keyboard without escapement. And it feels like what I might find on a grand piano.

What's right with it? It seems to me it mostly doesn't matter much and just adds a little bit of friction.

Though I'd appreciate opinions of expert players 😉

Real escapement makes the hammer withdraw after the strike (needed in acoustic pianos) and takes some weight off the key after the strike.


David Lai

_sem_ Well, I feel the escapement on my VPC 1 does a similar thing, and makes the down weight feel a bit easier to control for me.


HZPiano

_sem_ and takes some weight off the key after the strike.

"Some weight" can amount to up to half the upweight that would be there otherwise.

I'd love to have a digital piano action that does the same. I'd enjoy playing a lot more.

I recently played a 100+ year old Prussian upright in miraculously good condition, the escapement could clearly be felt and the reduction in upweight made the playing comfort exquisite.

Cheers and here's hoping…

HZ


David B

David Lai Well, I feel the escapement on my VPC 1 does a similar thing, and makes the down weight feel a bit easier to control for me.

The escapement on the Numa does the opposite. It creates more friction right before the key bottoms out. The key press is nice and smooth until you get to the bottom then you have to press harder right before it bottoms out. To me it felt opposite of a real escapement mechanism on an acoustic piano. That's why I removed it and hope it doesn't come on the new MK2.

God Bless,
David

P.S. Also, on the white keys the sensor/note would be triggered just above the escapement/friction point. The black keys were different. With them the note would trigger more at the point of the escapement notch. The whole thing was messed up and IMO, poorly implemented.


David Lai

David B I see. Thanks for the background info, David!

I just hope the black keys would be wider. It doesn't feel comfortable playing on the SL-88Grand, which was the main reason I bought my VPC1. The black keys on there felt comfortable playing. To me, my laymen language, I would say the black keys on the VPC1 are wider than those on the SL-88grand, and they also have a deeper travel.


HZPiano

David B

Thanks for that clear description, David.

Wow, that all sounds way off the mark for Fatar's design -- even while they call it their "finest key action ever". Even my humble little Roland does all of that quite nicely and accurately.

We'll all be curious how the SL88GT turns out, then. Availability is indicated for this March. How many nights sleep is that 😉?

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ


HZPiano

Hello,

I've seen a first (to me, at least) price for the SL88 GT in Europe:

€899,-

Which includes tax and shipping (as is usual in this neck of the woods).

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ


zrstr

Just to point out, there may be an issue with what triple pedal unit can be used with the Numa X Piano GT and the SL88 GT Mk2 that could be a factor for some people. I read that the triple pedal unit that Studiologic offers for the Numa X Piano GT isn't the best, but that the Roland RPU3 triple pedal unit (which seems to be considered pretty good) can be used with it (I think the member David B may have pointed this out). But the Numa X Piano GT and the SL88 GT Mk2 seem to have different jacks for the triple pedal, so it's not clear what triple pedal units can be used with the SL88 GT Mk2.

(I've only looked at it a little bit, but it seems the Numa X Piano GT has 3 jacks that can work with a continuous pedal, while the SL88 GT Mk2 has only 2 jacks that can work with a continuous pedal while the 3rd jack can only work with a switch pedal.)

Numa X Piano GT:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numa_x_piano_gt/

Pedals

Ped 1-2 Switch/Continuous

Ped 3 Multi Function

SL88 GT Mk2:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/slmk2/specs/

Pedals

Switch, switch/continuous, universal


David B

First hands-on review of the new SL MK2 88GT

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3577635/re-studiologic-sl73-sl88-sl88gt-mk2.html#Post3577635

Hi folks! I spent quite a bit of time at the NAMM show demoing the new SL MK2 units, especially the GT model. I can confirm that the more premium ivory-feel keytops are not present on the SL88 GT, but rest assured that the keytops still feel great. I will probably be purchasing an SL88 GT in the near future, once they are available (likely in March from what I hear). I was also very impressed with the other units in the SL MK2 lineup. The response is good, but fast repetitions and playing towards the back of the keys were far more challenging to execute on the standard SL88/73. If I played music where fast repetitions weren't a top-priority, for $499 for the SL73/88 MK2, I feel like I would be hard-pressed to find a controller that plays and feels so good around that price range.

The lack of escapement on the SL88 GT is an advantage in my opinion, producing a lighter touch throughout each keystroke, in what limited sense I can describe it. As someone who prefers a lighter touch, especially compared to the heavier actions found in Yamaha and Roland, this is a major advantage. Around the corner from Studiologic's booth was the Rhodes booth which had two VPC1s (hooked up to sampled Rhodes instruments) to compare to directly. The RM3 Grand II action on the VPC1 is still good, but not $2500 (US retail) good. Regarding the entire SL Lineup, the brochure that I have indicates the following information, in case it isn't already fully published elsewhere:


jdg78

Hmmm. So if this account is to be believed, it appears that they have removed the escapement and also changed the key surface. I don't mind losing the escapement, but it would be a bummer if they've really change the key surface, as the Numa X GT has probably the nicest feeling keys of any digital piano I've tried.

Still, for $1000 it represents tremendous value, and I'd be very tempted if I was still in the market for a midi controller.


David B

jdg78 I don't mind losing the escapement, but it would be a bummer if they've really change the key surface, as the Numa X GT has probably the nicest feeling keys of any digital piano I've tried.

That is a bummer. I love the Ivory key feel also. It's such an inviting surface for my fingers. It's one of the characteristics that makes the action feel higher quality than everything else I've tried out there. Kudos to them for removing the escapement. I'm so impressed with the Numa/TP400 action and the customizing touch sensitivity options. The MK2 GT should put the nail in the coffin for the VPC1.

God Bless,
David


Asunder

David B

Someone in that thread did mention that the Ivory key tops wear unevenly, so I wonder if that is why Studiologic didn't continue using them for the SL88 GT.

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3576529/4/studiologic-sl73-sl88-sl88gt-mk2.html

davinwv wrote

The ivory feel tops on my SL88 Grand have worn very unevenly. Unsurprisingly, the most played ranges of the keybed (i.e. the middle) have the most wear.

As long as the keytops on the SL88 GT are a little matte feeling and aren't slippery, I'm okay with them not being "ivory feel".

I'm very excited about the SL88 GT and the SL73 MK2. I've been saying to friends that it was like Fatar called me from Italy and asked what I would want in the SL successors, and then put all of what I said into the MK2s!


David B

Asunder Someone in that thread did mention that the Ivory key tops wear unevenly, so I wonder if that is why Studiologic didn't continue using them for the SL88 GT.

I noticed that comment, but I don't know what they are talking about. I've been playing my Numa GT with Ivory tops routinely for over a year and I haven't noticed ANY wear on the key tops. Not even a patina.

The Ivory Touch key tops on my Kawais didn't hold up for very long. This is what they would look like.

Not so with the Numa Ivory Key tops. They still look brand new. Here are my keys.

I think the poster might be referring to some other key surface that doesn't come on the TP400

God Bless,
David


willryu

David B

Nice. The photo evidence is undeniable. But I will give some leeway to the post about keytop wear. Maybe that person has a different playing style? Maybe a different version of keytop?

In any case, I'm looking forward to trying out this VPC1 killer.


Asunder

David B I noticed that comment, but I don't know what they are talking about. I've been playing my Numa GT with Ivory tops routinely for over a year and I haven't noticed ANY wear on the key tops. Not even a patina.

The Ivory Touch key tops on my Kawais didn't hold up for very long. This is what they would look like.

Good to know. Yea, that looks like a good amount of wear on the Kawai. Here's to hoping that Studiologic hear that potential customers want the ivory tops and makes it happen.


CyberGene

Here’s an interesting review on Thomann:

I've had the SL88 GT Mk2 since the beginning of June and have since moved my VPC1 to the attic. I think that says it all.


Las

The opinion is not interesting... There should be an argument on the mechanics, the game sensations, the responsiveness, etc. I find that it looks more like gratuitous bashing if there is no explanation...


HZPiano

CyberGene

Let me raid that attic and rob her/him of that VPC-1!!

Cheers,

HZ


David Lai

CyberGene Whoa, that's a bold statement!!! It would be interesting to see if they really did that of a good job when it comes to mimicing the baby grand piano experience in a mobile way.


« Previous Page Next Page »