Skip to content

Vidal - new midi controller being developed

Johnstaf

_sem_ A longer distance of the weights to the balance rail (on both sides) does increase the inertia (torque). Due to the lack of the hammer, they also need heavier weights to get reasonable inertia. Expect MP11SE kind of portability 😉

They could use heavier weights. 😀 I think one thing it has in common with a concert grand is the level of probability. 🤣


willryu

Plays like an infomercial but I think it is nice to see some unboxing and playing on the shipped product.


tonyminas

willryu Gimme, gimme, gimme.


tonyminas

tonyminas I hope to be able to test drive one of these soon. Especially to see how closely it replicates the non-linear aspects of a grand action.


RIP

tonyminas the non-linear aspects

What non linear? As far as I can tell the part of the grand action which Vidal implements is quite linear (the non-linear would be in the whippen and backcheck which this does not implement at all -- it used to simulate it with magnets, but now got rid of that part, unfortunately)


David Lai

How expensive (forbidding) is this one?


CeDur

Very, I think around 5000$ category. Niche product for niche market.

David Lai



tonyminas

RIP Alas I think you may be right. Not to say that it's an apples to apples comparison, but the movement on the Kawai Grand Feel actions felt a bit linear as well. Maybe this is why I preferred the Roland digital actions, folded or not under the fingers the tended to feel a little less linear. Geometry is wild.

But it's also possible that I'm just imagining it all.


RIP

tonyminas he movement on the Kawai Grand Feel actions felt a bit linear as well.

I agree. An acoustic (or hybrid) action feels different. I think with this price for the Vidal, I don't see why anybody would buy that rather than a hybrid instead. Or if one really needs the semi-portable form factor an MP11 or VPC11 instead. Or, after your report from NAMM a Studiologic SL88 GT mk2….


David Lai

willryu Thank you. $6600 (obviously before tax). That's indeed less expensive than the NV12, but still, quite an investment for a piano style midi controller keyboard.


painano

The SL 88 GT mk2 is really nice, I changed from a Yamaha P-525. The TP400 wood action on the SL feels better than the Yamaha’s. I also got a side panel mod from syntholz.de for it:


willryu

painano

The wood side panels are really lovely. It makes the keyboard look a little more "domestic" and a little less "studio."


jdg78

painano

That looks really nice.

I have a Numa X GT which also uses the TP400W action and I really love it. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to actions, but this one feels just right to me.

Although, I have to admit I’ve actually been quite curious about the Vidal controller and would love to try one at some point.

Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.


tonyminas

RIP For the price the SL88 MK2 GT is hard to beat. I have heard it has some QC issues, but then apparently so does Kawai. The thing also has a rudimentary audio interface built in, and can be powered over USB. That would make for a very minimal portable setup. I'd be cautious about the headphone output though. I don't imagine it would have enough juice for a power hungry pair of cans.


David B

painano I also got a side panel mod from syntholz.de for it:

The wood side panels look great. I used to have a Numa X Piano GT with wood sides. I like it much better than the black plastic on the MK2 GT. Did syntholz.de custom make those for you for does he stock them for the SL88GT?


David B

jdg78 Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.

This current picture from their website indicates they are using dual sensors in their action.

If that's accurate, that's crazy for the amount of money they are charging. No triple sensor, no thank you.


painano

David B as the MK2 was brand new on the market I exchanged a lot of ideas with Nik the owner of syntholz. He finally came up with a nice solution where all the original screws can be reused. So he has all the knowledge to make them on request. Here are some additional fotos showing the details of the panels and how they are installed: SL88 GT mk2


David B

painano as the MK2 was brand new on the market I exchanged a lot of ideas with Nik the owner of syntholz. He finally came up with a nice solution where all the original screws can be reused. So he has all the knowledge to make them on request. Here are some additional fotos showing the details of the panels and how they are installed: SL88 GT mk2

Really cool! 👏
If I ever get a Mk2GT, I'll have it fitted with that nice wood for sure. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
David


CeDur

I've tried VPC1 yesterday (finally) in local shop (although with no sounds, as I just went there to buy some cables). If I was about to buy really good piano controller, that would be my choice. SL88 GT Mk2 looks nice on paper, but I don't trust the brand. Reading about wood veneers coming of keys and some velocities inconsistencies is not encouraging. Regarding VPC1, I felt shorter pivot (compared to PHA50 I use at home), but it wasn't deal breaker. Among all I played, that was still my favorite action there (and I tried CLP775, Casio GP510, PX-S7000 and old PX-5S, Kawais MP7SE, ES120). Also, funny thing - I liked old PX-5S action much more over their new one in S7000.

The worst think with Kawai, I think, is that you guys in US pay almost twice as much as we Europeans.


« Previous Page Next Page »