Skip to content

Vidal - new midi controller being developed

SouthPark

That's why the future of piano - in the distant future - might be in the area of exoskeletons/skeletonics etc. Sensors on or underneath keys - along the length, and they detect where your fingers are - and provides sort of like 'power steering' - and the amount of power or 'assistance' you get depends on where your finger is. Sort of like fly-by-wire, but better. They still have to think about 'stealth' systems though - as in the hardware etc must not introduce unwanted 'noise' - such as what they might have in existing pianos - particular acoustic ones - ie. the kadunk kadunk noises, clumps, clunks, thumps, etc.


_sem_

Johnstaf

It doesn't make sense to talk about long key sticks as if that increases leverage. It doesn't. The leverage is decided by the distance to the balance rail. On this new action the distance isn't the same as it is on a concert grand.

Acoustic grands are much more complicated. In contrast to the Casio GP action with one more moving part than a typical DP hammer action, this one seems to have one less moving part, so no hammer. Hammer actions have a gear ratio for the hammer. This one doesn't; it only has weights on both sides of the stick. They must be roughly balanced (so that a ca 50g of weight on the tip of the key gets it to move down). A longer distance of the weights to the balance rail (on both sides) does increase the inertia (torque). Due to the lack of the hammer, they also need heavier weights to get reasonable inertia. Expect MP11SE kind of portability 😉


Johnstaf

_sem_ A longer distance of the weights to the balance rail (on both sides) does increase the inertia (torque). Due to the lack of the hammer, they also need heavier weights to get reasonable inertia. Expect MP11SE kind of portability 😉

They could use heavier weights. 😀 I think one thing it has in common with a concert grand is the level of probability. 🤣


willryu

Plays like an infomercial but I think it is nice to see some unboxing and playing on the shipped product.


tonyminas

willryu Gimme, gimme, gimme.


tonyminas

tonyminas I hope to be able to test drive one of these soon. Especially to see how closely it replicates the non-linear aspects of a grand action.


RIP

tonyminas the non-linear aspects

What non linear? As far as I can tell the part of the grand action which Vidal implements is quite linear (the non-linear would be in the whippen and backcheck which this does not implement at all -- it used to simulate it with magnets, but now got rid of that part, unfortunately)


David Lai

How expensive (forbidding) is this one?


CeDur

Very, I think around 5000$ category. Niche product for niche market.

David Lai



tonyminas

RIP Alas I think you may be right. Not to say that it's an apples to apples comparison, but the movement on the Kawai Grand Feel actions felt a bit linear as well. Maybe this is why I preferred the Roland digital actions, folded or not under the fingers the tended to feel a little less linear. Geometry is wild.

But it's also possible that I'm just imagining it all.


RIP

tonyminas he movement on the Kawai Grand Feel actions felt a bit linear as well.

I agree. An acoustic (or hybrid) action feels different. I think with this price for the Vidal, I don't see why anybody would buy that rather than a hybrid instead. Or if one really needs the semi-portable form factor an MP11 or VPC11 instead. Or, after your report from NAMM a Studiologic SL88 GT mk2….


David Lai

willryu Thank you. $6600 (obviously before tax). That's indeed less expensive than the NV12, but still, quite an investment for a piano style midi controller keyboard.


painano

The SL 88 GT mk2 is really nice, I changed from a Yamaha P-525. The TP400 wood action on the SL feels better than the Yamaha’s. I also got a side panel mod from syntholz.de for it:


willryu

painano

The wood side panels are really lovely. It makes the keyboard look a little more "domestic" and a little less "studio."


jdg78

painano

That looks really nice.

I have a Numa X GT which also uses the TP400W action and I really love it. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to actions, but this one feels just right to me.

Although, I have to admit I’ve actually been quite curious about the Vidal controller and would love to try one at some point.

Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.


tonyminas

RIP For the price the SL88 MK2 GT is hard to beat. I have heard it has some QC issues, but then apparently so does Kawai. The thing also has a rudimentary audio interface built in, and can be powered over USB. That would make for a very minimal portable setup. I'd be cautious about the headphone output though. I don't imagine it would have enough juice for a power hungry pair of cans.


David B

painano I also got a side panel mod from syntholz.de for it:

The wood side panels look great. I used to have a Numa X Piano GT with wood sides. I like it much better than the black plastic on the MK2 GT. Did syntholz.de custom make those for you for does he stock them for the SL88GT?


David B

jdg78 Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.

This current picture from their website indicates they are using dual sensors in their action.

If that's accurate, that's crazy for the amount of money they are charging. No triple sensor, no thank you.


painano

David B as the MK2 was brand new on the market I exchanged a lot of ideas with Nik the owner of syntholz. He finally came up with a nice solution where all the original screws can be reused. So he has all the knowledge to make them on request. Here are some additional fotos showing the details of the panels and how they are installed: SL88 GT mk2


« Previous Page Next Page »