Skip to content

Studiologic SL88 GT mk2 - TP400/W Action in a piano controller



CyberGene

HZPiano Did you have the chance to try the Numa?

He tested it in one of his visits to Sweetwater (and you seem to have liked that post 😉):

#1346


David B

I prefer the wooden sides better. If I bought this controller I'd fabricate some wood sides to make it look like the Numa X Piano GT I currently have. Also, it looks like the MK2 GT TP/400 doesn't have escapement which is a good thing in my opinion. Escapement is mentioned in the specs with the regular Numa X Piano GT, but not with the MK2. However, they also don't mention the Ivory Feel, and that would be a disappointment if the MK2 GT doesn't have the ivory feel key tops.

I've got to wait for a little bit more information to come out, but I can see myself switching to the MK2 from the Numa Piano GT. I like the Midi 2.0 feature. It might get me back into using my Ivory 3 more.

God Bless,
David


EssBrace

The pivot length of the Fatar TP40 series of actions (including the TP400W) is between 20.5 and 21 cm. Difficult to be more precise because Fatar place the pivot substantially lower than the plane the key surfaces are on.


HZPiano

CyberGene

😄

Yeah well, you know, I doubted that but, you know, memory and all…

Thanks for refreshing me!

🙂

HZ


HZPiano

David B I prefer the wooden sides better

The Studiologic page shows it with wooden sides. And it is called /W(ood).

I'd probably agree with you it'd be a pro if indeed they left the "escapement" simulation out. Should I choose to buy one of these, I already saw myself referring to your video where you pulled it out 😀 -- to do exactly that myself as well.

Cheers,

HZ


EssBrace

HZPiano David B I prefer the wooden sides better

The Studiologic page shows it with wooden sides. And it is called /W(ood).

I thought he was talking about the key sides too. But he means the wooden end cheeks on the Numa X Piano GT. I think he's pasted the same reply on this forum and PW, where the 'wooden sides' issue was raised by another member there.


HZPiano

EssBrace

😄

I just popped over there and had that same lightbulb moment 💡.

And yes, I would have preferred the wooden ones too 🙂.

Cheers!

HZ

@David B


David B

If they keep the ivory key top feel and remove the escapement, it's a winner.

They might be putting Kawai on notice. Who needs an old VPC1 with archaic features. 😀


HZPiano

David B They might be putting Kawai on notice. Who needs an old VPC1 with archaic features. 😀

Well, I'm seriously curious, that's for sure.

Although in your vs. PHA-50 video I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what those points were 🤦, it's been a while since I watched it. I do know from play-testing that the PHA-50 isn't it for me either.

Cheers!

HZ

HZ


David B

HZPiano Although in your vs. PHA-50 I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me.

It could have been the lack of finger sustain, but that was corrected with the 2.4 firmware upgrade. The triple sensors work like all other triple sensors now.


Asunder

Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.


EssBrace

Asunder Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.

That seems like a great deal!


Asunder

EssBrace

Price is definitely better than a VPC1. Features too.


EssBrace

Just as an aside really I wanted to reiterate how good the TP400W action is.

I have the Numa X Piano GT. It's having a little rest at the moment (in its box under the bed). I bought a Korg Grandstage X just before Christmas. I actually liked the action but it is definitely inferior to the Numa. I couldn't really get on with the Korg for other reasons so sent it back after three weeks. I now also have the Yamaha CP88 (I've owned one multiple times before). I also like the CP's action quite a lot. But the TP400W is better in certain ways. When you factor in price there just is nothing to touch the Numa X GT. And now for those who don't need the full range of functionality of a stage piano but who need one of the very best actions there is this SL88GT at a much lower price still. I think it is a serious bargain.


HZPiano

David B

That is good to know! It was for sure one of my doubts.

Cheers and… happy playing,

HZ


jdg78

Asunder Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.

If that really is the price for the SL88 GT, it should be almost a no-brainer for anyone looking for a top quality midi controller piano action, at least if you're in the US. Hard to imagine anyone wanting to pay $2,500 for a Kawai VPC1 over this.

Outside of the US, pricing may be more competitive however.


HZPiano

jdg78 Outside of the US, pricing may be more competitive however.

Yes, I'd estimate the Studiologic to be at €900 to €1000 while the VPC-1 is generally priced at €1300. Still a gap but quite a bit smaller.

These prices include sales tax by the way, which is the common way of publishing prices over here. Often shipping is included as well.

Cheers!

HZ


David Lai

HZPiano I enjoyed playing it when I tried the Piano GT last year. Hope I can visit Sweetwater again and test it in depth. I liked it at first play, though. Compared to a grand hybrid, if I want a space-saving setup, I'll go with slabs like this.


Next Page »