Studiologic SL88 GT mk2 - TP400/W Action in a piano controller
David B
HZPiano
David B They might be putting Kawai on notice. Who needs an old VPC1 with archaic features. 😀
Well, I'm seriously curious, that's for sure.
Although in your vs. PHA-50 video I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what those points were 🤦, it's been a while since I watched it. I do know from play-testing that the PHA-50 isn't it for me either.
Cheers!
HZ
HZ
David B
HZPiano Although in your vs. PHA-50 I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me.
It could have been the lack of finger sustain, but that was corrected with the 2.4 firmware upgrade. The triple sensors work like all other triple sensors now.
Asunder
Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.
EssBrace
Asunder Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.
That seems like a great deal!
Asunder
Price is definitely better than a VPC1. Features too.
EssBrace
Just as an aside really I wanted to reiterate how good the TP400W action is.
I have the Numa X Piano GT. It's having a little rest at the moment (in its box under the bed). I bought a Korg Grandstage X just before Christmas. I actually liked the action but it is definitely inferior to the Numa. I couldn't really get on with the Korg for other reasons so sent it back after three weeks. I now also have the Yamaha CP88 (I've owned one multiple times before). I also like the CP's action quite a lot. But the TP400W is better in certain ways. When you factor in price there just is nothing to touch the Numa X GT. And now for those who don't need the full range of functionality of a stage piano but who need one of the very best actions there is this SL88GT at a much lower price still. I think it is a serious bargain.
HZPiano
jdg78
Asunder Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.
If that really is the price for the SL88 GT, it should be almost a no-brainer for anyone looking for a top quality midi controller piano action, at least if you're in the US. Hard to imagine anyone wanting to pay $2,500 for a Kawai VPC1 over this.
Outside of the US, pricing may be more competitive however.
HZPiano
jdg78 Outside of the US, pricing may be more competitive however.
Yes, I'd estimate the Studiologic to be at €900 to €1000 while the VPC-1 is generally priced at €1300. Still a gap but quite a bit smaller.
These prices include sales tax by the way, which is the common way of publishing prices over here. Often shipping is included as well.
Cheers!
HZ
David Lai
HZPiano I enjoyed playing it when I tried the Piano GT last year. Hope I can visit Sweetwater again and test it in depth. I liked it at first play, though. Compared to a grand hybrid, if I want a space-saving setup, I'll go with slabs like this.
Asunder
EssBrace ust as an aside really I wanted to reiterate how good the TP400W action is.
I have the Numa X Piano GT. It's having a little rest at the moment (in its box under the bed). I bought a Korg Grandstage X just before Christmas. I actually liked the action but it is definitely inferior to the Numa. I couldn't really get on with the Korg for other reasons so sent it back after three weeks. I now also have the Yamaha CP88 (I've owned one multiple times before). I also like the CP's action quite a lot. But the TP400W is better in certain ways. When you factor in price there just is nothing to touch the Numa X GT. And now for those who don't need the full range of functionality of a stage piano but who need one of the very best actions there is this SL88GT at a much lower price still. I think it is a serious bargain.
Good to hear. At this point I think I'm just looking for a nice to play controller to plug into a laptop, bypassing paying for unsatisfying features of slab pianos. For my purposes, playing at home with a daw, I think the SL88 GT could be a good fit. Hopefully it's not bug ridden upon release.
I could see the CP88 being a good choice for a live keyboard. It sounds very decent and has a good UI for live playing.
David Lai
David B what’s wrong with escapement? I’ve never played an electronic keyboard without escapement. And it feels like what I might find on a grand piano.
David B
David Lai I just didn't like the way it felt. For me it made the keyboard harder to play.
God Bless,
David
Pianissimo
So you're better off with a Kawwai MP11, second hand, pivot length 24cm. Sorry but I can't see the appeal for these midi keyboard. You are paying for the action, right? At least you would expect an action as good as an acoustic one, but no, they skimp on what exactly? A few cm? 1 cm longer for them means £500 increase in the price? F.… my life…
David Lai
David B I see. OK, thanks for explaining it to me!
_sem_
David Lai what’s wrong with escapement? I’ve never played an electronic keyboard without escapement. And it feels like what I might find on a grand piano.
What's right with it? It seems to me it mostly doesn't matter much and just adds a little bit of friction.
Though I'd appreciate opinions of expert players 😉
Real escapement makes the hammer withdraw after the strike (needed in acoustic pianos) and takes some weight off the key after the strike.
David Lai
_sem_ Well, I feel the escapement on my VPC 1 does a similar thing, and makes the down weight feel a bit easier to control for me.
HZPiano
_sem_ and takes some weight off the key after the strike.
"Some weight" can amount to up to half the upweight that would be there otherwise.
I'd love to have a digital piano action that does the same. I'd enjoy playing a lot more.
I recently played a 100+ year old Prussian upright in miraculously good condition, the escapement could clearly be felt and the reduction in upweight made the playing comfort exquisite.
Cheers and here's hoping…
HZ
