Skip to content

Studiologic SL88 GT mk2 - TP400/W Action in a piano controller

HZPiano

Hello,

Well… it has already been mentioned as a wish quite a bit… and here it is:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/slmk2/

See under: SL88GT.

I'd be curious about pricing (hopefully not following the typical market skimming strategy), and also be curious whether I'd like it.

Cheers!

HZ

PS Would I like it (almost) as much as GFIII? As much or better than RM3II (a.k.a. VPC-1)? Better than PHA-4? PHA-50 (possibly, I'm not as enamored by PHA-50). Better than Grand Touch-S? Such thoughts flash through my mind right now.


David Lai

Numa Piano GT without the tone engine, I'll buy that when I have the money for it! Maybe it's time for me to sell my VPC 1…


HZPiano

David Lai

Did you have the chance to try the Numa? Do you seriously consider this better than your VPC-1?

I have a hard time seeing that…

Cheers!

HZ


jdg78

Nice. If this had been released a year earlier I probably would have gotten this over the Numa X-GT, as I have no use for the onboard sounds, and the action is the only thing I care about.

But good to know that there's now an alternative (and I'm assuming cheaper) option for those interested in this action.

Personally, I preferred it over the VPC1 which I also demoed, and which felt a touch heavy and soft-bottomed in comparison. Though still a very nice action.


Pianissimo

Can I ask the pivot length of that action?




CyberGene

HZPiano Did you have the chance to try the Numa?

He tested it in one of his visits to Sweetwater (and you seem to have liked that post 😉):

#1346


David B

I prefer the wooden sides better. If I bought this controller I'd fabricate some wood sides to make it look like the Numa X Piano GT I currently have. Also, it looks like the MK2 GT TP/400 doesn't have escapement which is a good thing in my opinion. Escapement is mentioned in the specs with the regular Numa X Piano GT, but not with the MK2. However, they also don't mention the Ivory Feel, and that would be a disappointment if the MK2 GT doesn't have the ivory feel key tops.

I've got to wait for a little bit more information to come out, but I can see myself switching to the MK2 from the Numa Piano GT. I like the Midi 2.0 feature. It might get me back into using my Ivory 3 more.

God Bless,
David


EssBrace

The pivot length of the Fatar TP40 series of actions (including the TP400W) is between 20.5 and 21 cm. Difficult to be more precise because Fatar place the pivot substantially lower than the plane the key surfaces are on.


HZPiano

CyberGene

😄

Yeah well, you know, I doubted that but, you know, memory and all…

Thanks for refreshing me!

🙂

HZ


HZPiano

David B I prefer the wooden sides better

The Studiologic page shows it with wooden sides. And it is called /W(ood).

I'd probably agree with you it'd be a pro if indeed they left the "escapement" simulation out. Should I choose to buy one of these, I already saw myself referring to your video where you pulled it out 😀 -- to do exactly that myself as well.

Cheers,

HZ


EssBrace

HZPiano David B I prefer the wooden sides better

The Studiologic page shows it with wooden sides. And it is called /W(ood).

I thought he was talking about the key sides too. But he means the wooden end cheeks on the Numa X Piano GT. I think he's pasted the same reply on this forum and PW, where the 'wooden sides' issue was raised by another member there.


HZPiano

EssBrace

😄

I just popped over there and had that same lightbulb moment 💡.

And yes, I would have preferred the wooden ones too 🙂.

Cheers!

HZ

@David B


David B

If they keep the ivory key top feel and remove the escapement, it's a winner.

They might be putting Kawai on notice. Who needs an old VPC1 with archaic features. 😀


HZPiano

David B They might be putting Kawai on notice. Who needs an old VPC1 with archaic features. 😀

Well, I'm seriously curious, that's for sure.

Although in your vs. PHA-50 video I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what those points were 🤦, it's been a while since I watched it. I do know from play-testing that the PHA-50 isn't it for me either.

Cheers!

HZ

HZ


David B

HZPiano Although in your vs. PHA-50 I noticed some remarks of yours about this TP action that were off-putting to me.

It could have been the lack of finger sustain, but that was corrected with the 2.4 firmware upgrade. The triple sensors work like all other triple sensors now.


Asunder

Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.


EssBrace

Asunder Sweetwater is showing $1k for the SL88 GT.

That seems like a great deal!


Asunder

EssBrace

Price is definitely better than a VPC1. Features too.


Next Page »