Vidal - new midi controller being developed
willryu
The wood side panels are really lovely. It makes the keyboard look a little more "domestic" and a little less "studio."
jdg78
That looks really nice.
I have a Numa X GT which also uses the TP400W action and I really love it. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to actions, but this one feels just right to me.
Although, I have to admit I’ve actually been quite curious about the Vidal controller and would love to try one at some point.
Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.
tonyminas
RIP For the price the SL88 MK2 GT is hard to beat. I have heard it has some QC issues, but then apparently so does Kawai. The thing also has a rudimentary audio interface built in, and can be powered over USB. That would make for a very minimal portable setup. I'd be cautious about the headphone output though. I don't imagine it would have enough juice for a power hungry pair of cans.
David B
painano I also got a side panel mod from syntholz.de for it:
The wood side panels look great. I used to have a Numa X Piano GT with wood sides. I like it much better than the black plastic on the MK2 GT. Did syntholz.de custom make those for you for does he stock them for the SL88GT?
David B
jdg78 Unfortunately though (or maybe fortunately for my wallet) the form factor just wouldn’t work for me at present - it’s too deep to fit in my current space.
This current picture from their website indicates they are using dual sensors in their action.
If that's accurate, that's crazy for the amount of money they are charging. No triple sensor, no thank you.
painano
David B as the MK2 was brand new on the market I exchanged a lot of ideas with Nik the owner of syntholz. He finally came up with a nice solution where all the original screws can be reused. So he has all the knowledge to make them on request. Here are some additional fotos showing the details of the panels and how they are installed: SL88 GT mk2
David B
painano as the MK2 was brand new on the market I exchanged a lot of ideas with Nik the owner of syntholz. He finally came up with a nice solution where all the original screws can be reused. So he has all the knowledge to make them on request. Here are some additional fotos showing the details of the panels and how they are installed:
SL88 GT mk2
Really cool! 👏
If I ever get a Mk2GT, I'll have it fitted with that nice wood for sure. Thanks for sharing.
God Bless,
David
CeDur
I've tried VPC1 yesterday (finally) in local shop (although with no sounds, as I just went there to buy some cables). If I was about to buy really good piano controller, that would be my choice. SL88 GT Mk2 looks nice on paper, but I don't trust the brand. Reading about wood veneers coming of keys and some velocities inconsistencies is not encouraging. Regarding VPC1, I felt shorter pivot (compared to PHA50 I use at home), but it wasn't deal breaker. Among all I played, that was still my favorite action there (and I tried CLP775, Casio GP510, PX-S7000 and old PX-5S, Kawais MP7SE, ES120). Also, funny thing - I liked old PX-5S action much more over their new one in S7000.
The worst think with Kawai, I think, is that you guys in US pay almost twice as much as we Europeans.
_sem_
David B If that's accurate, that's crazy for the amount of money they are charging. No triple sensor, no thank you.
I'm not sure if the third sensor is so crucial. Nobody says the ES520 is vastly better than the ES120 because of it, nobody seems to miss it in the PX-S, and a detailed analysis of the previous version of the SL controller in a YT video has shown that the three in it are so close together that it couldn't make much difference.
David B
_sem_ I'm not sure if the third sensor is so crucial. Nobody says the ES520 is vastly better than the ES120 because of it, nobody seems to miss it in the PX-S
I sold my Nord S4 Compact because Nord refused to update their instruments to properly interpret 3 sensor midi data coming in. In my experience 2 sensors = no finger legato, repeated notes do not sound as smooth, keys have to travel up to twice the distance - compared to 3 sensors - to repeat notes, and 2 sensor actions create greater distance between the digital and acoustic playing experience which is counterintuitive since manufactures are usually trying to close the distance.
I don't know who the "nobody seems to miss it" folks are, but I would not be in that category and I'm just a ham-fisted thumper on the piano. 😊
God Bless,
David
_sem_
When Casio removed the third sensor in the PX-S, they claimed a "smart" algorithm, I guess it was probably just more careful placement and faster scanning. Admittedly the positive reviews could have come from incompetent reviewers, considering that they were also not bothered by the ridiculous pivot length 😉
But I'm sure that I'd be unable to make use of any third sensor advantage in that SL controller because the sensor positions were so close together (the guy who made the video put shims under sensor boards to increase the spacing among them).



