Skip to content

Thoughts after Sweetwater Visit

David Lai

HZPiano Yes, HZ, it was a weekend filled with concerts, friends, games and a trip to Sweetwater. ๐Ÿ™‚ And I went parents free!!!


David Lai

Mindbullets Yes, it sure was a great and insightful visit.



David B

David Lai I tested on my laptop and Babyface Pro FS setup, running Ivory III German D and Garritan CFX libraries. I have to agree with David B, this action was a joy to play on.

I'm glad you tried it with your virtual pianos to get a feel for just the action because the internal acoustic pianos soloed don't sound good in my opinion. They aren't bad layered with other sounds, but on their own, yuck!

David Lai Genelec 8040 and the Dynaudio speakers I heard had a similar profile -- slightly tamed highs and a warm sound. May be a bit on the "bland" side, so certainly only for some select musical genres.

Bland is actually a good way to describe what I hear when I listen to music through my Genelec 8050s. I always add EQ to shape the sound no matter what music I listen to through them. I have a few different EQ settings in my Babyface Pro for different genres.

However, that's also what I like about them. On occasion when I'm mixing music with the 8050s, the final mix sounds good through a number of different audio sources. For mixing the 8050s are great because they give me a very flat and accurate representation of the frequency spectrum, but for just listening to music through them, they can be somewhat bland hence the EQ.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the trip. It sounds like you had a fun time with good friends.

God Bless,
David


David Lai

David B Hi David!

Actually, I included the StudioLogic mainly because of you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Also, you've wanted me to compare the actions, so I decided to do this for you.

And yes, I guess now we can say that the sound one likes on a pair of studio monitors has a lot to do with the music they listen to. For me, extremely flat Genelecs are not my cup of tea, but when you have pronounced highs on the high-end Focals, I feel tired. What a balancing act!!!


Mindbullets

David Lai Kali Audio's LP6 is the best entry level speaker, and its over all performance and response is fun to listen to. The hissing, though improved on V2, can still be heard.

I love my LP8 v2s. Initially, they both had some bad crackling/popping, but Kali sent me another pair of amps to swap out (with newer firmware on them) and they sound much better on the new firmware. I don't notice a hiss myself, but I'm also sitting in an untreated room next to a window so it doesn't mean it isn't there. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree they're an excellent value!


kawafanboi

so our david went to sweetwater and now has a girlfriend? or is kawaboi reading too far ahead. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

the magic of sweetwater


David Lai

kawafanboi Nope! She is a new friend I got to know this January. Actually, her family (including her) and a cellist friend I've known for years invited me to spend this past weekend.

And, when I have a girlfriend or a formal wife in the future, she will not be blind. This is not ablest so please don't take this the wrong way, but practically it's better for the blind person to live with a sighted companion, in my opinion. Navigation and life happenings won't be hard to navigate, and the sighted person will help complement the blind person. That's the last thing I want to say about this.


SouthPark

That's why they call it sweetwater. It's like a candy store.


David B

SouthPark That's why they call it sweetwater. It's like a candy store.

I hide the candy that gets shipped with my orders otherwise my wife eats it all up. Bit-O-honey and taffy are my favorite. ๐Ÿ˜‹

God bless,
David


David Lai

David B Haha, whenever I buy new audio things from Sweetwater, it's "candy for the whole family!!!"


kawafanboi

SouthPark

which part of sweetwater is southpark doing the shopping exactly, out back behind the .. ๐Ÿ˜ cash only.


navindra

David Lai I'm very happy to hear you had such an awesome experience at Sweetwater! I want to go there now. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't know they had acoustic pianos! Could you share a bit more about your experience with the Pearl River piano? Did you like it?


David Lai

navindra I played on a couple of the Pearl Rivers, not my favorite tone, unfortunately. Boxy highs is what I remember most about them. I'd say if at all possible, get a Yamaha to make your money's worth.


CyberGene

David Lai GC2 has a warmer sound compared to the other times when I played the same model

Iโ€™ve heard similar feedback from other people too. Apparently Yamaha have made their recent pianos to be warmer sounding.


David Lai

CyberGene Looks like my feelings are quite consistent, too. Thanks for confirming my thoughts, both you and Kawafanboi!


jdg78

David Lai

Sounds like a blast - thanks for sharing. It's very rare to get a chance to try so many products side-by-side as you did, so your impressions are very instructive.

I've heard a lot of good things about the those Kali LP6 monitors, especially for the price. I would consider getting them, but I'm afraid they are slightly too large for the space where I want to mount them, so I'm leaning more towards Genelecs as they have a more compact shape, even though they are a lot more expensive.

I would also love to hear the Focal Shape 65s, but I think they may also be too large for my space. But I've had a pair of Focal speakers in my hi-fi system for the past 20+ years, and they are probably the single best investment I ever made in terms of audio. Even today they still sound amazing and better than most new speakers anywhere near their price range.


David Lai

jdg78 The Genelecs sounds bland to my ears, and not very fun to listen to at first, though maybe time will help you adjust? But it's not my cup of tea.

The Focal Shape 65s have much detail, and the default tuning makes fun and satisfactory listening. Be ware that these speakers are best in a nearfield setup, sitting away from it won't give you as much of the soundstage and imaging. It's my daily driver now for close to a year and I love them so much!!!

The Kali LP6s are good as a starter speaker, and the sound characteristics are, in my mind, very similar to the Focal Shapes, minus some high frequency shimmer, and also the amps they use are more noisy than the Shapes. I think if you have the budget for them, go directly with the Shapes. As for space, the pedestals my parents made for the KRK Rokit5 G4s I used to use can also fit the Focal Shape 65s, in fact, they fit perfectly. So I imagine, if you can house a pair of speakers with 5-inch woofers, then this wouldn't be a problem.


kawafanboi

i don't understand the obsession with "monitor" branded speakers. it's mostly advertising. more neutral speakers are out there in the hifi space at comparable / lower cost, and you can pick your own dac/amp.


Next Page »