Skip to content

Thoughts after Sweetwater Visit

kawafanboi

i've said this for a long time, the pxs** actions feel fine. if you don't think about it, you can barely feel a difference in the key weight. that aspect has been over blown. the short pivot is only a big deal if you play higher up on the black keys, it feels really weird, but not so bad that you can't get around getting used to.

the comparison though is always well if something else with longer keys cost about the same, why pxs?😗


vagfilm

kawafanboi if something else with longer keys cost about the same, why pxs?

I have mentioned this before (even with pictures of how I integrated the slab into a bookshelf), but to be able to have my piano at an adequate height and still keep my bookshelf space, I need a piano that is less than 10cm to the top of the white keys. Not many fit this requirement: the pxs, fp90, fp60… There may be others that I have not measured (korg b2, studiologics…), but the majority of slabs are 12~15 cm in height…


David Lai

vagfilm Then I think from this standpoint, it might work for you. Unfortunately I didn't test any Rolands, not sure if they carried them there, at least I wasn't informed of their presence. If I was told, I would have at least tested out the FP60X and the FP90X, among other things.


jdg78

Re: Casio PX-S7000, I recently demoed this model and thought action felt quite decent - much better than some of the lower-tier Casios. However in comparison with the PHA-50 on the Roland FP90x and the TP400W on the Studiologic Numa X GT, the PX-S7000 exhibited more lateral movement within individual keys, as well as more bounce on the key return, which made it feel a bit less solid and stable to me. However, if those particular aspects don’t bother you so much, it is a nice feeling action.


vagfilm

jdg78 the PX-S7000 exhibited (…) more bounce on the key return

It is probably due to my poor technique and slow finger movement (I tend to maintain a lot of key touch and let the key push my finger upwards during release…) but I feel much less return bounce on my px s1100 than on the fp90x I tried (and MUCH less than on the es110 which was very annoying to me and is an action praised by many experienced players). The action with the best tactile feel and stability for me was the pha-4, but I did not like its lack of agility: if I tapped strongly at the key lip the pha-4 did not move a lot and failed to generate a note in half my attempts, while the same tapping consistently produced a note in all other DPs I tested.


David Lai

vagfilm My memory of the PX7000 action is that it's easy to make sound with it, smooth like butter, and probably soft, too.


David Lai

jdg78 Comparatively, at least from what I remember, I enjoyed the StudioLogic action a bit more than the PX7000. I think it's difficult to really compare this with Yamaha, but if I ever have to choose a Yamaha slab, I'll do the P-525. That's what I remember. The Nord keyboards generally don't have very good actions, but their sounds are better than what Yamaha, StudioLogic and the like have to offer.


Jay Lane

David Lai Props to Sweet water for being willing to let you try out all that gear. In the UK some music retailers get a bit miffed if you want to try more than a couple of boards.


David Lai

Jay Lane Yeah! The show room is basically a place where you can try out all that stuff! I hope to go there again when I'm free so I can try the StudioLogic midi keyboards. That's my next interest.


Jay Lane

David Lai I'm looking into a Korg Nautilus 88 with the RH3 action. I read good things about it. Because I'm a synth/rhodes/piano guy who also does production I need a board with decent built in sounds and a good keybed.

I played my FP30X yesterday, when I add effects via my iPad it sounds decent. I'd say the supernatural pianos are very even and stable for practice but not that nuanced.


« Previous Page